Every year the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) offers the Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) to stimulate students’ interest in research in the natural sciences and engineering field, and to encourage students to undertake graduate studies and pursue a research career in these fields.
The Daniels Faculty is allocated several awards each year. These awards allow students the opportunity to participate in research with an eligible faculty member. The 16-week full-time summer NSERC USRAs will begin on May 3, 2021 and carry a total value of $7500.00.
Eligible Faculty Members:
- Professor John Caspersen
- Professor Patrick James
- Professor Alstan Jakubiec
- Professor Shashi Kant
- Professor Jay Malcolm
- Professor David Martell
- Professor Brady Peters
- Professor Sandy Smith
- Professor Sean Thomas
You must make contact with a potential supervisor on your own and together you will proceed through the application process.
Documents and Resources:
If you are interested in applying for this award, please note the following:
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Must have a cumulative average of at least a ‘B’ (CGPA 3.0).
- Must be registered as either full-time or part-time (at the time of application) in a bachelor’s degree program. First-year students are excluded from the competition as applicants must have completed a minimum of two terms at the time of application submission.
- Must not hold a higher degree in natural sciences and engineering.
- Graduating students are eligible if they hold the award in the term immediately following the completion of their undergraduate program requirements, as long as they have not started their graduate studies.
- A student may only hold one NSERC USRA per year.
- You are to be engaged in research on a full-time basis for the duration of the award (16 full consecutive weeks).
- Copies of official transcripts must be provided with the application.
- Must be completed with the student and supervisor’s original signatures
- Answers to common questions on Student Eligibility, Supervisor Eligibility, Work Term Duration & Location, and Application Procedures
- Form 202 is to be completed online on the NSERC On-Line System. Follow their instructions.
- Part I is to be completed by the student
- An official transcript is required. Attach a PDF copy to Part I of the online form. A copy will also need to be submitted to Laura Lapchinski, Forestry Undergraduate Administer.
- Part II is to be completed by the proposed supervisor (the eligible faculty member).
- Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- Refer to this checklist to ensure Form 202 Part I and Part II are completed properly.
Deadline for applications for the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design is 4:00PM, Friday, March 12, 2021.
- Students will be notified of a placement later in the following week.
Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application should consist of a copy of your transcript, copies of both you and your supervisor’s online NSERC forms, and a copy of the 2021 Student-Supervisor Certification form.
If you have any issues with copies, signatures, etc., or questions in general, please email Laura Lapchinski.