Read the consultants’ reports that we have commissioned below.
MASS TIMBER INSTITUTE RESEARCH & ENVIRONMENTAL SCAN
By: Catherine Cobden • 2018
This environmental scan was conducted to support the exciting potential of the Mass Timber Institute (MTI) to stimulate the mass timber market in Ontario. This scan also provides a current snapshot of existing research and educational training, as well as governance structures and rules, while identifying areas for improvement. The research included detailed interviews conducted between March and May, 2018 with a wide variety of industry participants. They expressed a great deal of enthusiasm for the MTI and its vision.
We’ve done some of the searching for you! Check out some of these open access publications and reports from third-parties below. We were not involved in any of these publications but think that they are all worth a read. The list is a work in progress so if you would like something added to or removed from the list, let us know.
- Anderson R, Atkins D, Beck B, Dawson E, Gale CB, Hammond H, Kaiser B, Rawlings C. 2020. North American mass timber: State of the industry 2020. Missoula, MT: Forest Business Network.
- The Beck Group. 2018. Mass Timber Market Analysis. Portland OR.
- Bédard P, Fournier F, Gagnon S, Gingras A, Lavoie V, Robichard F, Julien F, Doucet M, Dallain P. 2010. Manufacturing Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) Technological and Economic Analysis. FPInnovations. Quebec, QC.
- Karacabeyli E, Gagnon S. 2019. Canadian CLT Handbook. Pointe-Clare, QC: FPInnovations.
- ThinkWood. 2019. Research in Progress: Mass Timber and Tall Wood Building Research. Canada and the United States. 40p.
GUIDES AND STANDARDS
- ANSI/APA PRG 320: Standard for Performance-Rated Cross-Laminated Timber
- BSLC/FII Nail Laminated Timber Design and Construction Guide
- National Lumber Grades Authority. Standard Rules for Canadian Lumber.
- Government of Ontario. 2020. Sustainable Growth: Ontario’s Forest Sector Strategy. 36 p.
- Natural Resources Canada. 2021. The state of Canada’s forests: Annual report 2020. Canadian Forest Service. 77p.
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry. 2017. Ontario’s Tall Wood Building Reference: A technical Resource for Developing Alternative Solutions under Ontario’s Building Code. Queen’s Printer for Ontario. 93 p.
- Zelinka SL, Williamson T, Martinson KL, Ritter MA. 2019. Research needs assessment for the mass timber industry: Proceedings of the 2nd North American mass timber research needs workshop. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-273. Madison WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory.
- Brandt, K., Wilson, A., Bender, D., Dolan, J., & Wolcott, M. (2019). Techno-Economic Analysis for Manufacturing Cross-Laminated Timber. BioResources, 14(4), 7790-7804.
- Cabiyo, B., Fried, J. S., Collins, B. M., Stewart, W., Wong, J., & Sanchez, D. L. (2021). Innovative wood use can enable carbon-beneficial forest management in California. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(49).